Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Rubbish Called Music


The past couple weeks some serious tracks have hit the airwaves… 
as much as I might not be as up-to-date as I used to be… I still know good music when I hear it. 
And yes there have been some bullshit track flying around.
The Nigerian music scene is a very peculiar one. 
We love beats… complicated or simple… don’t matter to nobody. 
Content and delivery… practically non-existent. 
You find that for the most part Nigerian songs are purely made to entertain, 
its like listening to a comedy show recorded on a cd. 
Everything they say is funny or tries to be, no imagination in content delivery.
I mean what is “kako be chicken” how does that relate to anything? 
Then while ur trying to swallow that they hit you with 
“kako be kpako”. 
Translation: stand/pose like chicken… stand/pose like stick… 
or something like that…I mean… really? 
The song is funny and it is guaranteed to get you moving somehow… 
even if you tried your best not to move… your eyes will probably start twitching to the beat.
The truth is… this is what the Nigerian people want and these musicians are just playing to their tune… 
it has made them lazy and very predictable. 
I don’t even care to go into calling names today… 
can’t have people hunting me down…

well that would be to their own disappointment

I am basically interested in the artistes that understand that content still matters, 
the rappers that understand that the right word play is still captivating and still have people ohhh-ing and what-ing?! when they hear something crazy.

well my personal list if I ever had one will include these artistes; not in any particular order:

M.I. – word play, punch lines, delivery…
Flavor – high-life is timeless… all his tracks are relevant.
Mode9 – insane delivery and punchlines
PRE – punchlines, flow, vocals, good ear for beats. Nothing basic about this dude! First 3-D Music video
SauceKid – SINZU!!!! U know what it is… mad flow and punchlines… also got the attitude
BurnaBoy – fresh, good vocal and punchlines when necessary 
2Face – 2BABA!!!!... NEED I SAY MORE
Jesse Jags – beat guru, good ear for music, delivers on any track
Vector – punchline and metaphor doctor, just what the rap industry prescribed. Dude can flow for days.
Naeto C – smooth, laid back flow, engaging  
brymo – ahh! the son of a carpenter… this nigga here.. perfect blend of old vocals and words with new sound
Phenom – good energy, punchlines
Phyno – I hope I spelt it correctly… solid flow no matter the language he speaking
loose Kaynon – got some hard lines… he had to be on this
Yung Six – intelligent rap, voice is not too great but it works
All the dudes on Illegal Music 2 – I don’t know where M.I. got them from… but they delivered.

I know there are some peeps I left out or forgot… you guys will be alright… up your game and leave an impression. 
 

Love this track!


No comments:

Post a Comment